Located on Lake Washington between Madison Park/Washington Park and Madrona, Denny-Blaine is a wonderful community of stately and character filled homes built in its hills; most of which have astounding views of Lake Washington, Mt. Rainier, and the Cascade Mountains. Abundant with parks, this is a great area for families and the outdoor enthusiast alike. This established and affluent neighborhood is close to downtown and the delightful commercial offerings of Madison Park and Madrona.
A Brief History
The Denny-Blaine neighborhood was developed by and named after Elbert Blaine, an attorney and former Seattle Parks Commissioner and by Charles Denny, son of Seattle founders Arthur Denny and Mary Denny in the early 1900s. The community grew in the 1920s and 30’s in due to the nearby trolley line which encouraged commercial growth along its path.
Known for its Parks, Denny-Blaine Place Park also known as Whitman Place is a waterfront turnaround park surrounded by an old stone seawall. It is a beautiful spot with a nice grassy area large enough for lawn activities, picnics and a peaceful place to sunbathe. Right up the hill from Denny-Blaine Place is Viretta Park named after Viretta Denny; wife of Denny-Blaine founder Charles Denny. Viretta Park is more recently famous for being next door to the residence where the late musician Kurt Cobain of Nirvana lived and died. Fans gather at the park and light candles and pay tribute to the musician on the anniversary of his death (April 5). It is a hillside park shaded by trees and the benches are covered with messages to the late musician. There are many other quaint and historic parks in Denny-Blaine.
Another landmark is the Epiphany Episcopal Church and school. The chapel was designed by ElsworthStorey and built in 1911. The land was purchased in 1909 from Elbert Blaine’s wife Minerva and is across the street from the Minerva Fountain, park and Metro Station which now consists of a pond and the remnant pipe from the original fountain. There is a shelter with a sign above it that reads “Denny-Blaine Lake Park” which once served as a real estate office for Elbert Blaine and Charles Denny when they were selling the lots of their new development in the early 1900s. After the lots were sold, the shelter served as a station for the electric trolley line that ran to Madrona Park. Due to vandalism, the walls were removed in 1924. It now serves as a Metro bus stop. Noted for its architecture, the Epiphany chapel was cited as and example of the most significant architecture in Seattle in 1971 by the Seattle Chapter of the American Institute of Architects and the Seattle Post Intelligencer and was designated a Seattle Landmark on October 23, 1978.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.